ABOUT MONTENEGRO HOSTEL KOTOR
Welcome to Montenegro Hostel Kotor, which was the first hostel in Kotor opened 10 years ago. Because of its location in the heart of the old town this hostel is very popular and our guests are in the middle of countless events happening during summer. During the rest of the year old town is calm and almost perfect to rest and enjoy. Our hostel is well-equipped and offers everything you'd need for a pleasant stay. We also offer a number of tours and transfers organized by hostel’s MH Travel Agency. This is the hostel with the longest tradition in Montenegro and thanks to that Montenegro Hostel became well-known around the world.
Montenegro Hostel is located in traditional stone edifices in the Old Town. This historical monuments under UNESCO protection kept their original look while their interiors are adapted for modern traveler needs, so take a look at our offer:
1. Hostel is located in three separate buildings in close proximity. In two we have dorms, third one is just for private rooms.
2. Reception is open from 8am until midnight, in high season until 1 in the morning.
3. For travelers in need of silence and rest our private rooms are a perfect solution, while the dorms are close to the main street and during high season it could be louder as some of the bars are located nearby. In summer music is allowed in bars until 1 in the morning.
4. To the guests who want to explore the city and the rest of Montenegro Hostel offers many tours organized by MH Travel Agency which is a part of Montenegro Hostel company. All tours are well-made and detailed and the prices are convenient. All tour offers you can find on our website in the section Tours and Excursions.
5. Hostel doesn’t have a parking as its located in the protected area of the old town so the guests will have to use parking lots around old town which charge up to 1€ per hour
6. For guests coming from the airport we can organize pick up service. We can also organize transfers to the airport if needed.
7. Kotor doesn’t have sandy beaches but the swimming area is located very close to the old town about 10 minutes of walking from the hostel.
8. Hostel will not organize loud parties and will take care of our guests and neighbors peace.
9. Hostel is located at the best possible location so everything our guests need is very close and will not need taxi service or city transportation.
Montenegro Hostel Kotor is located in the Old Town of Kotor
Kotor is one of those amazing places so unique in its setting and history that there is nothing like it anywhere in the world. The town lies huddled underneath the rocks of Mt. Lovćen at the farthest end of the Gulf of Kotor. Though palms and olives surround it, the high mountains casting their shadows give it a cruel and cold feel. The educated Byzantine Emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus (10th c.AD) wrote: “ Around the town are high hills so that the sun can be seen only in midday during the summer and never in winter.”
Though overstated, his vision of the town’s setting is also true today and you will be surprised how late the sun comes up above Lovćen and how early it sets behind Mt Vrmac, especially during the winter. The town core, enclosed by walls, is a muddle of constricted streets bordered with tall stone edifices and paved with multicoloured slabs which only reveal their true beauty after the rain.
The narrow lanes spread out in all directions connecting the small squares in such a bewildering fashion that no map will help the inexperienced visitor. One of the nicest things to do here is to go “lost” in Kotor’s Old Town, finding your own way through layers of its history and discovering interesting details.
The completely preserved town walls of Kotor, 4,5 km in length, are one of the chief reasons that helped Kotor reach UNESCO’s list of the world heritage sights. This extensive fortification system is even more impressive considering that it climbs up the fearsome hill behind the town surmounting its many cliffs to reach the top of 260m above sea level where the Fort of St John stands. Here formerly stood the Illyrian and Roman strongholds even before the “lower town” (present-day Kotor) developed and in a later era the hilltop was dominated by a Byzantine castle. The walls encircling the town and the hill where finished in the 14th century except for some sections which were unassailable to such an extent that they needed no protection. The medieval walls got their present day appearance in the 16th and 17th centuries when they were reinforced and strengthened by the Venetians to withstand cannon fire. The fort was used by the army until the end of Second World War. One of the fort’s peculiarities is an endemic species of slug almost blank in color Clausiliacatharenisis which lives only amongst its walls. Climbing to the top of St John’s is a must for each and every visitor of Kotor. This 45 minute climb up its stone stairways with a total of 1,350 steps opens aerial views on Kotor and dramatic vistas along its bay.
LOCATION AND PICK UP SERVICES
Montenegro Hostel is located 1km from the bus station (about 15 minutes of walking) or you can take a taxi which approximately costs 2€. Kotor doesn’t have a train station.
Airport Tivat is located 5km from the hostel. We organize transfers from and to the airport for the price of 15€ per ride (maximum 4 persons per car)
Most popular bars, disco club, marina are located from a couple of meters to a maximum of 10 minutes of walking from the hostel
1. kitchen free for use (fully equipped), tea coffee free for use
2. lockers in the room
3. WIFI is free, connection in every room
4. common room
5. every room is air conditioned
6. free city map
7. reception is open from 8 am till midnight
8. transfers and tours desk
9. washing and drying service of 5 euro
10. age limit (see more about that issue in chapter Rooms in Hostel)
11. smoking is allow only in front of the hostel
12. no curfew
13. paying by card acceptable.
14. city tax is not included in the price (see more in chapter Taxies)
15. towels, linens, blankets, pillows are free for use
ROOMS IN HOSTEL
NOTE: NOTE: There are 2 type of the rooms: private rooms and dorms. If the guest wants to book a private room the guest needs to book entire room. If the guest wants to book a bed in dormitory guest is able to book only one bed, not the entire room.
Hostel can accommodate guests of all ages, but because of quality and security of guests staying, hostel has an age limit. Parents with kids younger than 18 can book only private rooms, apartments, or a whole dorm (private dorm). Age limit in dorms is 18th to 45 age range. Guests +45 can book private rooms, apartments or whole dorm as a private dorm.
Double Room (shared bathroom): double bed, AC, WiFi
Twin Room (shared bathroom): two separate beds, AC, WiFi
Bed in 10-bed Mixed Dormitory Room (private bathroom): bunk beds, AC, lockers, WiFi
Bed in 6-bed Mixed Dormitory Room (shared bathroom): bunk beds, AC, lockers, WiFi
VAT is included in the price.
CITY TAX is 1,1 euro per day of staying ( per person) is not included in the price. Children pay 0,50 euro of city tax.
In addition to our whole offer we can’t not mention the most important thing which makes this hostel so popular, which is our staff.
Extremely hard-working, they will greet you with a smile, help you with everything you need, give you best recommendations about restaurants, where to go out, what to see and visit and so on.
NOTE: Our staff and the owner of the hostel is available 24/7. Everything you need you can ask on reception number 0038269270510 or owner’s number 0038269039751.
Before you decide to make reservation check our facilities and terms and conditions.
We hope you will have a pleasant stay.
Montenegro Hostel Team