The miniature shanty town lies on a small plateau overlooking the river Lim. Even at its height of 800m above sea level it is still overshadowed with high mountains covered in deep green forests. In the Middle Ages a church was built here by Andrija, a prince of the offshoot branch from the Nemanjić dynasty. His church called Andrijevna survived until 1765 when it was leveled to the ground during a Turkish punitive expedition against the Vasojevićki clan, which inhabits this area. When Montenegro acquired control over the Vasojevići in the mid of 9th c, the ground of the valley of Lim, where previously stood Andrijevna Church, became once again an interesting site for a centre of a rural region which had no other town at all grew one house at a time. Between the two World Wars it grew even faster as the seat of large country was located here. This continued until in 1960 all of the administration was transferred to Berane or Plav and the town started slowly to die out.
Sailing in from the open sea, one first comes across the Herceg Novi bay but with Mt Orjen (1895m) above it, than through the Kumbor straits to the lofty Tivat bay.Through Verige, the narrowest point of the Gulf, one sees the bay of Risan to the north and the long bay of Kotor to the south, both surrounded with lofty mountains and ending with with the historic town of Kotor, nested directly below the steeps inside of Mt.Lovćen (1749m).